Tuesday, December 11, 2012

How I survived Anatomy and Physiology

Anatomy and physiology. I searched for months around the internet before going into college for nursing, and the biggest challenge that everyone spoke about? This single class. Yes, they complained about clinicals and the nightmarish pharmacology tests, but this was the single piece of nursing school that stuck out. When I finally went to my first day of A&P I, I honestly half expected a meaner, nastier Trunchbull to be standing at the head of the class. You know, the disgusting principal from Matilda...





I remember having nightmares with her in them. Instead, I was greeted with a wonderful professor who seemed a tad timid, at first, but certainly was passionate about her subject. I'd like to share with you some things that I wish I had known going into this class the first time around:

  1. It's only a nightmare if you make it one. This class is really just like any other. You get what you put out. If you don't come to class, or if you decide not to study too much or at all, then you are going to have much to show at the end. It's basic logic. You put in the work, and you get rewarded with a good grade in the end.
  2. Use all available resources! By resources, I'm talking about more than you textbook and lab book. I'm talking, using the lab any chance you get. There will be a lot of models to know and not enough time IN CLASS to know them. Therefore, you will need to put in more effort outside of class to really be familiar with them.
  3. Find out how you learn best NOW. Everyone has SOMETHING that helps them learn. For some people it can be as simple as reading the textbook and reviewing the notes. For others, it can be flash cards, or a simple game. For me it's music. This semester I used a song to help me learn the bones of the body as well as the muscles. I couldn't use a song to really point out the muscles to me, but it at least gave me a word bank on the test itself. Find your method BEFORE you enter those doors. You want to find a good study plan and stick with it!
  4. Study Groups! These can be hit or miss. Some people find they get off topic too much and do more talking than studying, but if you can get your group focused, this can be the absolute BEST way to study! If you don't know something, you have a wealth of knowledge surrounding you, and if they don't know? You have something to find out together, and I guarantee you, by the end of it, you'll know it by heart. It's also nice to have someone there that can quiz you. You can look at terms all you want, but it's wonderful to have someone there who can come up with questions you may not have thought about.
  5. Get your sleep! This is one that you should already know, but I will reinforce it because it's important. Cramming for a test the night before, all night, is a sure way to fail. Don't believe me? Ask anyone who's done it. Even if they've never failed, they probably don't have an A or B in the class and, trying to get into nursing school, you can't afford to having anything less. So if you find you forgot about a test until last minute, don't be tempted. Review your notes, let me repeat that, REVIEW your notes, then get a good nights rest! Get up a little earlier if you need to and go over them again and I know you'll do better on the test than if you had given into that temptation.
  6. Keep your study sessions SHORT! I watched a study skills lecture online once that put to words something I already knew. When you sit down to study, you're really attentive the first bit, then you start to get that brain fog. EVERYONE knows what I'm talking about, that fog that makes it hard for you to focus and comprehend the information. That, my friends, should be your cue to take a 15 minute break. No more no less, but that break MUST be taken. I like to review my notes before a big exam, but I always make sure that I time it so I have 15 minutes before the exam to take a quick break. The worst thing you can do to yourself is go into the exam with that fog looming over you. I did it once this year, psychology, and failed that exam. I was frustrated that I couldn't comprehend the questions, and stressed because of the timer that wouldn't stop so I could clear my head. Not a good feeling!
  7. Finally, Don't freak yourself out! Everyone should have a bit of stress going into an exam. This is normal and actually helps you. Keep your goal in mind and work your butt off for it, but don't over do it. This is easier said than done. The beginning of the semester, I literally cried and started tallying points on my lab reports in chemistry scared I wasn't going to pass. I nearly cried during the first exam. Needlessly. I had myself worked up over nothing. You can do anything you believe you can do. If you freak and constantly tell yourself you're stupid or that there's no way you'll pass a test, then you're right. You are stupid and there is no way you'll pass that test. STOP THAT! Break the cycle and put forth your best effort. Remember, your best effort is whatever you believe it to be. I believe I am capable of A's. Did I come close to straight A's in high school? HA! My first two years of college? HAHA! I got overwhelmed and settled myself in to the fact that I am a C student and can't get straight A's. So what did I get? Mostly C's. Hmmm... My first semester here I had something I wanted more that anything, a nursing acceptance letter. I knew I needed good grades to get in. If I really was a C student, then I should've even bothered trying. No one will take someone who can't get above a C in their generals. I finally had something to work for, and I went into the semester telling myself that I will get there, no matter what. I CAN get the grades needed. I'm a smart person. Before you think it, no, you're not dumb. If you were dumb, then you wouldn't have a high school degree, the college wouldn't have accepted you, and you wouldn't even be trying. If you're dumb then why are you in college? Because you know you can do this, you just need the confidence to accept that thought. You aren't bragging, you aren't showing off, you're accepting yourself for who you are, and you are a very intelligent individual who is capable of getting the grade you go after. You still have to put the work in, of course, but I imagine you'll find test taking and studying a TON easier.
These are my secrets. Nothing special, nothing fancy. Just an order of self confidence and a great support group. You can do this. You can do ANYTHING. This is a challenge, and that's what it's suppose to be. Embrace that and love it! If you go into nursing for the right intentions, then this class should be an amazing journey! Not an insurmountable nightmare. Just take a deep breath and jump in head first. As long as you're prepared mentally and physically, then there's no reason why you'd drown.

Keep working hard and NEVER give up!

~THE Future Nurse Chelsey

7 comments:

  1. Sweetling, where was this when I was freaking the hell out over my level II Social Work exam??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol it was a long learning process! Maybe it'll help you in grad school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gud advice kip t up.....john ototo egerton university school of medicine

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!! this post really inspired me. thank you so much for posting it! I will be taking anatomy in the fall along with some of my other nursing prereqs! I will definitely be using the advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post! I have A&P 1 and failed my first quiz because I did not study as much as I should have. Now I know better and will strive for better. Your tips are very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for this. i'm studying anatomy to become a massage therapist and can relate to everything you've written. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only aspire to mention ones content can be as incredible. This clarity with your post is superb and that i may think you’re a guru for this issue. High-quality along with your concur permit me to to seize your current give to keep modified by using approaching blog post. Thanks a lot hundreds of along with you should go on the pleasurable get the job done.
    Hbse result 2018

    ReplyDelete