Monday, September 3, 2012

Top 5 Ipad apps for Nursing Students!


 So I received my brand new Ipad 2 the other day! Totally excited to see all I can do with this baby through nursing school! I already have utilized it a ton in Anatomy! I grabbed a couple of really cool apps that I think EVERYONE should have through nursing school and the science pre-reqs.

1. Cell and Cell Structure. This app may not be useful for too long, but for $3, it's great for students who may not have had any life science before going into Anatomy and Physiology. It has a couple games you can play to help you reinforce the information as well as amazing videos that give you a realistic inside look of a Eukaryotic and Prokaryotic cell.

2. Drawing Book. This one is almost indispensable. For $2 you now have the ability to draw and save pictures on your Ipad. So far, I have utilized this one for Anatomy by making flash cards by drawing the molecular formulas for the different sugars and proteins for my up coming test. It would be great in class, if you're allowed, to make diagrams or quick notes on it.

3. Netter's Anatomy Atlas for Ipad. This app has the steepest price tag of them all, but anyone going into a medical field will find that this app's usefulness with essentially pay for itself and then some. It's price tag is a whopping $89.99, but it comes with 531 main anatomy plates, 40 bonus plates (If you register the app) and if you find the hidden skulls in the main plates, you unlock 10 more plates. You can also spend an additional $8.99 (why not, right! ;) ) and get 30 more extremely useful plates which include basics like body planes, terms of movement, body cavities, and more. This is the greatest anatomy app I have ever seen, on computer or book or any medium, really. This would be my top priority if I could only get one app.

4. NCLEX-RN Question Bank. Yes, I know. I still have another 3 years before I will be taking the NCLEX, but even before you start to study for that test, why not use it in your nursing courses? This app as a group of categories that you can choose from, like Management and Leadership, Critical Care, Pharmocology, Adult Health, and more. These exams will give you a wonderful chance to apply the skills you just learned to realistic situations you will be thrown into later in your career, or in questions once you DO take the NCLEX.

5. Lab Values Pro. Another $3 app, but it houses quite a bit of information that will come in handy later on in nursing school. It has medical abbreviations and medical prefix/suffix dictionaries, but the one that will come in handy the most is the lab reference values. A great (and cheap) reference for all medical students!

I'm sure there are a ton more useful apps out there, and I'm sure there are more I'll find and use later once I'm in nursing school, but for now, these are the best I've found. If you've found some good ones, let me know! Hoping to get a ton of use out of my Ipad!

~THE Future Nurse Chelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment